Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Dem bones


Today I went to Stanford medical schoool anatomy and physiology department. We got to go to the cadaver lab. There seem to be 100 plus bodies. Mostly there were parts. All of them. All chopped up and stuff, some bodies were whole. Very interesting. We all end up dead sooner or later, I am just not sure I want a bunch of 20 something year olds probing and prodding and chopping. Or worse, a bunch of firefighters poking around. Yeah, I am sure you can just imagine what was said there. I thought it was cool, but it made me a little sad. The head Dr. of the department cut some lady's chest open, and we were able to see her lungs and heart and a bunch of other stuff. Another reason not to be a smoker, this lady had some black stuff on the outside of her lungs, Dr. said that was from long term smoking and the tar was pushing out from inside. Pretty cool, uh.. educationally speaking.

When I got home my son was very intersted in my day. It went something like this...

Son - Dad, did you see any bodies?

Dad - Um, yeah there were a bunch.

Son - What did they look like?

Dad - Well, some were together some were in pieces.

Son - Cool! What kind of pieces?

Dad - Well, hearts, livers, legs all of the parts.

Son - Whoa! Cool! What about heads?

Dad - Yeah, heads too.

Son - What about he,he, um.....

Mom from other room - Don't say it!

Son in whispered voice - Wieners?

Dad in whispered voice - Yeah, wieners as well.

Son after laughing for a while - Did they have have butts cut off too?

Dad after a long day of hobbling on a bad knee - Okay, I'll be in my chair if you need me.

Well we get to do it again on thursday, they are planning to open the chest again as well as do a cut down on the neck. Sorry if this is too gross. But it was an awesome learning experience. Anyway, I am sans crutches now, but my knee is still pretty swollen.

I like the Critérium du Dauphiné Libéré, it is a cool race, lots of different parcours in one week. It also means Le Tour is right around the corner.

If you are on this dudes wheel, you are on the wrong training ride. That's it for now.

Proper respect for the survivors of D-Day today. I can't imagine what that was like, being 19 and going into that shit storm. Those dudes were hard as nails. No way we could have pulled that off, we are such pussies.

Sleep tight, sleep free,

VJ

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home