Monday, May 15, 2006

Flog Blog


Well, things didn't go so well at Cat's hill, the Cat's meow was actually a roar. I tried to grab on to the tiger's tail and got bit. Lot's of reason's, but I broke the golden rule, and that is never be in the back. I tried though but starting the season at Cat's doesn't leave room for shaking off the rust. I felt good, but everytime we came down the hill onto the straight someone was opening a gap, coming around a closing it, then hitting the hill redline will not make for a very long race. Anyway, the loud pop was me coming undone. I can say that at least I wasn't the first and by the end there was a distinguished crowd in the DNF seats.

Bag boys rode aggresive as did the broker boys, but spine seemed to be waiting in the wings. Bag boys were setting OV up, not sure what happened, but that last lap is always a little crazy. Angerman won the sprint over OV, I had my money on OV though. For a minute during the race, I thought "hey I am right next to OV and Myall, I should be okay". Yeah right, that is anerobia whispering in my ear, my ponies aren't quite as big as theirs. The champ rode real well, pick up a 8th or so. That guy always impresses me. I think he was the highest placed 50+ guy out there.

I worked real hard at beating myself up this weekend, called myself a loser many times, but I just couldn't get into the woe is me mode. I think doing my warm up on hwy 9, and Mayberry's advice helped put it all into perspecitve, as well as:

1) - The last time I went down 9 it was in the back of an ambulance, in many piece
2) - "dude, you were at least out there doing it" however briefly, yeah that's true
3) - Watching my 9 year old son finish his run in the "wizard of Oz" made me realize that riding my bike around in very fast circles is fun, but he is still way better at enjoying life than I am.
4) - My daughter doing the 400m on friday getting second and scoring a goal at her soccer game on Sat. Is an awesome back to back.
5) - Lothar is still my hero, last year he was in Iraq eating sand sandwiches, now he doing two races at Cat's hill and killing it every weekend. Chapeau my friend!
6) - I realize how much fear I had to overcome, when you see guys like OV, Caldwell, Nolan, the champ, Martin and on and on, stepping up to the line. I was intimidated, how can you not be. I put all that aside, gave myself a shot though. I learned that they are awesome and they have put alot of time into this sport, that is to be respected not feared. And to be able to line up with those guys is an accomplishment in and of itself for a patzer like me.

Cat's hill is a race where you see everyone you know in the cycling world. Props to Chris for helping out set up the course, and he is not even a Gato boy, see you in cross season my friend. Thanks to the "boss" and Bman for showing up and dispensing the love. The boss always gives out big love and never lets me slink into the shell of me, and dwell in the pity pool.

Serotonin levels must be up, Woo Whooo!

Happy to be anti-depressant free!
Peace,
VJ

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home