Monday, October 30, 2006

Surf City Silliness


Before you start, scroll down start the youtube so you have theme music. Then come back here to read.

Well, I have to say that the Bella's and Co. have outdone themselves. Sunday's Surf City CX was the most fun I have had at a race this year by far. I know the course got changed, Blah, Blah, Blah. I thought it was great though. The swirl was soooo cool. The run up was great if you like run ups, if not than you probably hated it. I thought the course was fast, but you had to be able to handle your bike for sure. So here is how the 35A race went.

Drove to the race 6:30am with the Champ and SuperLex. Got in a solid warmup, 5 or so laps. The course was tricky, and had lots of grass, something we never see around here. The water sponges around here are so protected like family jewels that running a cross race over them is a cardinal sin. But, oh yeah, they grow back. I love grass, and there was a swirl in the par course which was awesome. You had to be there to understand it. Anyway, the approach to the runup was real bumpy, and the runup it self was a long, steep mofo.

So, start time, they do the call up, the champ goes first then the rest of the heads of state. Except for one of the berry boys. The rest of us crush to the front to claim our valuable real estate. "Casey the ref" calls out the instructions, and then the missing berry boy who was apparently doing yoga or something in the back starts to worm his way through thestarting grid, "excuse me, let me through". He gets right in front of me and he is not even on his bike! Casey says "10 seconds". Oh shit, are you kidding me? Does he get on his bike? NO! does he even look ready? NO! Whistle goes off and dude starts running! WTF? So I try to get around him and start squeezing through the madness. Strawberry boy starts yelling at everyone like " let me through!" Dude welcome to the middle of the pack scrum, there is no love there.

The first barriers are packed and I come off of the bike elbows flying trying to make it through, I end up flailing through them well back in the field. I start pickiing my way through and pass a bunch of people. I was with Richy Italiano again on the first runup, I decide to blast up it and pass as many people as possible on it. Finally get into a good spot going into the speedway section of the course. Feeling good, by the way, did I mention I built up the new team frame. It was working perfect! And I have two bikes now, so of course I had no mechanicals. I got into a good group with Murray, Eric B, Ceaser and Chirs D. I noticed that on the runup Murray was hurting, so I tried to push a little bit to keep him honest. Ceaser had a mechanical and dropped out, Chris is still in the hurt locker with an injury and also DNF'd.

I managed to get away from them for a while but I ended up with Eric B for a while, then with a lap and a half to go he got a gap and I could not bring him back. He stayed about 10 seconds up at the finish. I manage to hold off some chasers to finish 12th! Finally, a decent result, and the fitness is almost back to normal. 9 and 10 were only a few seconds ahead of Eric so I am encouraged about getting a top ten before the season ends.



Forecast is for rain this week and the weather is getting cold. That can only mean one thing. Real Freaking Cross Weather!! Bring it on. It is about time. The big bays will be in Colorado this weekend, so I may be able to poach a top ten. we will see. The costume race was hilarious. Seeing OV in the bumble bee outfit made me laugh so hard. I kept hearing that bumble bee song in my head, "No Rain" by Blind Melon. Still singing it today. OV can have that effect on people.

Cyclocrossboy
but on quite the spread this weekend, he has vaulted to elite status cause he brought Ommegang Ale. That stuff is the best beer I have had, and I have had alot. I am glad I drove, or else i would have a serious hangover today. The ale was flowing in generous amounts yesterday. There is much to blog on but I need to get some work done. What a weekend.

Peace,
VJ

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home